The Red Cross Inn is stooped in history! Parts of the old cellar was where Oliver Cromwel’s Army hid during the Civil War; it was once a Red Cross Hospital (where it attained its name) and we are proud that it is the only pub in the UK named The Red Cross Inn.
In 1652 The Red Cross Inn was owned by William Castleman who was substantial enough to issue his own farthing token. This is the earliest record of The Red Cross Inn clearly indicating a going concern.
Situated at the foot of the Castle owned by the Earls of Surrey
and beside the Medieval Market Place. The Inn stands opposite the site of the Medieval Chapel of the Holy Cross that stood on the Island in the middle of the road, after the Reformation it was used as a barn and demolised in 1785.
For centuries the hostelry was used by traders and farmers on market day. Today The Red Cross Inn remains a well known Reigate Landmark.